The Tertiary Institutions Entrepreneurship Scheme (TIES Loan) was launched by the Central Bank of Nigeria as part of its efforts to increase economic growth and lower unemployment among Nigeria Polytechnic and University graduates. The Scheme aims to inspire undergraduates and recent graduates to abandon their pursuit of white-collar employment in favor of an entrepreneurial culture that promotes job creation, economic growth, and sustainable development.
In order to unleash the potential of Nigerian graduate entrepreneurs (gradpreneurs), the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) created the Tertiary Institutions Entrepreneurship Scheme (TIES) in collaboration with academia (Universities and Polytechnics). TIES offers re-orientation, training, and an original financing model that will strengthen the entrepreneurial ecosystem and have a profound impact on the economy.
What you should know about CBN TIES loan
Only graduates of Nigerian polytechnics and universities that have undergone entrepreneurship training shall be eligible to participate under this Component.
Additionally the loan scheme is divided into 2 tiers;
- Tier 1 (For sole proprietorship businesses, limited liability companies and small companies): Your loan limit is N5Million with a tenor of only 5 years.
- Tier 2 (For Partnerships registered either as Limited Liability Companies and Small Companies ): Your loan limit is N25 million for a tenor of only 5 years.
From now until February 2023, the interest rate for every graduate or undergraduate using the TIES is 5%. It will, however, rise to 9% in March 2023.
Eligible Activities (Areas of Business)
The activities to be considered under the Scheme shall include innovative start-ups and budding businesses owned by graduates of Nigerian polytechnics and universities in the following areas:
- Agribusiness – production, processing, storage and logistics;
- Information technology – application/software development, business process outsourcing, robotics, data management;
- Creative industry – entertainment, artwork, publishing, culinary/event management, fashion, photography, beauty/cosmetics;
- Science and technology – medical innovation, robotics, ticketing
NOTE: Trading activities shall not be eligible for financing under the Scheme.
Requirements for CBN TIES Loan Approval
The requirements are necessary either during the application or before the final approval of the CBN loan application and final disbursement of funds to an applicant.
- Bank Verification Number (BVN);
- Verified first degree certificate (BSc/HND or its equivalent);
- Verified National Youth Service Certificate (NYSC) discharge or exemption certificate;
- Certificate issued by polytechnics and universities evidencing entrepreneurship training;
- Duly signed Global Standing Instruction (GSI);
- Third party guarantee: a senior federal/state civil or public servant, clergy, recognised traditional ruler, professionals (lawyers, doctors, accountants etc.), confirmed staff of established companies.
- Your Statement of Income, Statement of Affairs, as well as cash flow projections for both start-ups and businesses with not more than 3 years of operations
- Business plan delineating details, financials, as well as the economic advantages of the projects
Note: You must not be over 7 years post-NYSC.
How To Apply
CBN does not have any agent for its interventions including TIES Loan. Applicants are to personally submit their loan application via the approved online portal url: https://cbnties.com.ng
2. Next, tap “Apply Now”
3. The next step is to carefully fill out the registration form with the required information, check your details, and send in your request.