Every Nigerian, both young and old should be trained on what to expect and how to react during and after an armed robbery incident.
According to research, people who have been trained recover faster than those who have not been trained.
Armed robberies can range from a clerk being handed a threatening note to a heavily armed offender demanding action at gunpoint.
Whatever situation you may find yourself in, the most important goal is for you to survive the incident.
It is very important to comply with the offender’s requests. This increases the victim’s chances of survival while lowering the risk of damage.
Below are a few tips from a security expert on what to do after a robbery incident in Nigeria.
“Trust me if these few steps are being followed, it will help Police Officers in arresting the culprit, and more importantly, in protecting affected victims from more harm.”
- To start with! Don’t act like James Bond! Feeling like you could chase robbers! Just relax your mind and be calm!
I repeat!! Do not chase the robber. The robber may shoot at any pursuers or the police may shoot at you, too, thinking you are the robber.
- Secure the doors so the robbers cannot re-enter the house or place of the incident. Don’t entertain any visitor for that day and If it’s a business place, make sure you stop operations and place a sign on the door advising customers that the business is “Temporarily closed due to an emergency.” Do not let anyone in except emergency personnel.
- Call police immediately. Be sure to tell them if anyone is injured so they can dispatch emergency medical personnel. Be calm after the incident so that you would be able to give the Police the time of the robber’s departure, their description and direction and method of travel. The speed of reporting is critical to the apprehension of the criminal!
- Care for injured people. If possible render first aid, and keep the victim calm and alert until paramedics arrive.
- Be observant! Make sure you observe method of escape of the robber, if possible, along with the direction of travel. If a vehicle is used, try to find out the make, color, type, license number and the state of registration.
- Make sure you preserve any evidence, do not touch or rearrange anything after the incident! Protect the crime scene and try to keep (over sabi) people out of the area.
- Everybody present during the time of the incident have one thing that they observed! Just write down the robber’s description. Do not “compare notes” with others until a police officer arrives and conducts interviews. Keep witnesses at the scene until police arrive. If they insist on leaving, try to get their names and addresses.
- Just be calm and don’t talk to much! Do not discuss the robbery with outsiders until police give permission to do so. Refer all questions to the police.
- Keep the amount of money stolen private.Find out & record anything else that may have been stolen.If an exact amount of cash taken during the robbery should be released to the media, and they report a large loss,other robbers could be attracted to the business.
- This part of the world we like to avoid the Police station! Please do not avoid the Police station we are citizens too not aliens! Please, endeavor to assists investigating officers in every way possible. Cooperate with the police by being available for interviews, not being reluctant to identify suspects and giving evidence in court when notified to do so.
READ ALSO: Signs Of A Hacked Facebook Account
Credit: Aliyu Giwa/Twitter.