Soldiers kill 4 gunmen trying to enforce sit-at-home in Aba


According to reports, Gallant Soldiers from the 144 Battalion of the 14 Brigade of the Nigerian Army killed four gunmen in Aba, Abia State, on Wednesday.

The incident happened around 2 p.m. yesterday in the Uratta, Aba area of the Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway, when gunmen dressed in black marched through popular streets and markets, forcing traders and residents to obey a two-day sit-at-home order set for Thursday and Friday.

Nigerian soldiers

Residents were reportedly warned about the penalties of violating their order to sit-at-home, which is anticipated to be implemented across the south-eastern states in protest of President Muhammadu Buhari’s (retd.) planned visit to Ebonyi State on Friday.

According to a source, a shooting incident happened while the gunmen were disseminating their information, which caused some shop owners to close their doors.

READ ALSO: 9 Killed, scores kidnapped as Chibok community suffers another Boko Haram attack

The men in black allegedly had a challenge with the soldiers on their way to the Uratta junction, which resulted in a gun battle that killed four of the gunmen, including their leader, while others escaped with gunshot wounds.

A military source from the 14 Brigade who spoke on the condition of anonymity confirmed the face-off which led to the death of four of the gunmen, while others sustained injuries.

The recovery of charms and a live turtle from the group’s putative leader was also confirmed by the source.

However, a local resident in a contrary statement claimed that in the past 2 weeks, a group of organized hoodlums had been extorting money and items, robbing people , and rapping women in the area until they were being pushed off the streets by the gunmen in black.

According to the source, the hoodlums reported to the police and army, who arrived yesterday with the complainants who identified some people as members of the gunmen.

A gunfight is said to have broken out during the raid, with the gunmen being killed.

All attempts to contact Geoffrey Ogbonna, the Police Public Relations Officer, were unsuccessful because calls to him were not answered.

Source: The Punch Metro.

Share and Enjoy !


Related posts