Alhaji Bakura, the father of Baba Mohammed, a four-year-old boy, has detailed how his son was allegedly kidnapped and killed by his neighbor in Maiduguri, Borno State, after a ransom of N250,000 was paid.
Bakura informed Daily Trust that he had no idea what had prompted his next-door neighbor, Abati Buba, to carry out the alleged killing.
The incident occurred in Maiduguri’s Gwange area according to reports.
He explained that his son went missing on a Friday evening, and that the next morning, he received a phone call demanding a ransom for his son’s release.
Bakura claimed he paid the agreed-upon fee of N240,000 and was guaranteed of his son’s safe return by the kidnappers, only to discover later that the boy had been killed and his body dumped near his home.
Officials from the Department of State Services were alleged to have apprehended Buba.
“My late son was four years old,” Bakura stated. We searched everywhere for him after he went missing on Friday, March 5, but we couldn’t find him. We received a call from the kidnappers the next morning (Saturday), demanding a ransom. We came to an agreement to pay N250,000.
“We planned to meet someplace in the Tashan Bama area, but he then requested that I deposit money into his account, which was given to me. The payment was paid by me.
“We expected him to phone us, but he didn’t.” I attempted to contact him, but he had turned off his phone. So, on my way to the mosque to pray on Sunday morning, I noticed a crowd. My son’s body had been dumped near my house, so I double-checked.
“We had no idea it was my neighbor who kidnapped my son, demanded ransom, and then murdered him.” The DSS apprehended him (Abati Buba), and he confessed to kidnapping and murdering Mohammed.” Alhaji Bakura told the story.
In response, Comrade Bulama Abuso, Chairman of the Civil Society Organization of Borno State, encouraged security officials to investigate the circumstances behind the boy’s death as soon as possible and ensure that the offender is properly prosecuted.
“We are standing with the family,” he stated. We send our condolences to the parents and promise them that we will see this case through to its completion. We will see to it that justice is done.”
ASP Sani Shatanbaya, the Police Public Relations Officer for the Borno State Police Command, confirmed the event and said the perpetrator had been handed over to the police for investigation.
“It is true that a suspect was apprehended in connection with the incident by DSS and then handed over to us,” he stated. I can affirm that he is in our custody right now. “The investigation is still underway.”
Source: Daily Trust.